Built in 1901 by Henry Flagler, as The Colonial Hotel, this was the first beachfront hotel property in Nassau. Destroyed by a fire in 1922 before being purchased by The Bahamian Government and re-launched in 1924 as The New Colonial Hotel, it then became the British Colonial Hotel after a purchase by wealthy Canadian businessman Sir Harry Oakes in 1932. From the 1960s, the hotel changed hands over the course of several decades as The Sheraton British Colonial and then The British Colonial Beach Resort, until its closure in 1990. In 1999, it was re-launched as The British Colonial Hilton Nassau. In 2014, the China State Construction Engineering Corporation purchased the hotel and is building their $250 million resort complex The Pointe adjacent to the property.